Well, the answer to the question may seem easy to you. But there are many reasons for the power supply failure. In this article, we not only focus on signs of power supply failure but also give other relevant information.
How Do You Define A Power Supply Unit?
Shortened as PSU, it is the device that can convert alternate electricity to DC or direct current for the components present inside the computer. There are different types of requirements for computers and laptops. Some computers may need 65 watts, a few 1000 watts and others may need a completely different power unit. When the computer does not get the power required, then things start happening in a negative way. In short, some applications do not work or open.
Signs of Power Supply Failure
- You can hear strange noises from the computer case. Exactly at the location of the cord.
- If you try to activate the computer, then there will be no activity. You can also get a flashlight in front of the computer. These conditions are a sure signs of power supply failure in your computer.
- Do you do activities which makes the computer need more electricity? Such as Gaming or video encoding? In this situation, the computer may shut down as the power supply cannot meet the demands of work. There are also chances that the processor is overheating, and the fan has got blocked. So to prevent damage of components, the computer has shut down. Do you get video errors of the unexplained type? In a normal computer, you get video cards of low intensity. But if you are working on high video content, then the process will need more power from the system. So, if your work revolves around 3D modeling programs and your computer crashes on frequent occasions, it is one of the signs of power supply failure.
- When a fan inside the computer starts to go on the path of failure, then you can hear a grinding noise. A sign that the bearings of the fan are worn out. If it is coming from the power supply fan, then you have to replace the fan or the bearings as soon as possible. Or else the computer will go to overheating mode.
- The computer gets activated for a second and then switches off. Yes, it may be either a power supply issue. Or it can be extreme – you will hate to admit – motherboard failure or the power cord has worn out.
- The computer gets suddenly switched off without reason. You can even get the Blue Display of Death.
- There are chances that you can feel the burning smell or fumes from the computer. In a similar situation, you have to shut down the computer and call a computer repair technician at the earliest. He can identify the source of the problem. Then after a discussion, he can replace or repair the power cord so that the problem does not happen again. Please note, among the signs of power supply failure, you have to exercise caution. Or else you may face injury.
Causes For Power Supply Unit Failure
- Usually, the life duration of a power supply unit comes between five and ten years. Yes, it also depends on how you use the computer.
- If you have fixed the electrical supply from an outlet that is prone to regular fluctuations, then you can get signs of power supply failure. The computer will also get switched off.
- You have bought a cheap power supply unit for the computer. Now, it has worn out.
As a working professional or student, you want your computer to remain in the best possible condition. And when it goes wrong, you have a stressful situation in hand. It is also hard to diagnose the malfunctioning parts. The power supply failure will give rise to different problems. If you can spot the signs of power supply failure, then you can prevent damage to other components.
For a computer to work properly, it needs the power supply. And when the main source of energy is cut, then you get experiences such as irregular shutdowns, the screen goes blank and other types of failures. Yes, you may experience signs not described even in this article. But the trick is, if the computer shuts off when you are working on graphics or other heavy duty work, then they may be a sure sign of power supply failure problem. In a similar situation, you have to hire a computer repair technician at the earliest. Now, with the bro4u app, you can scan the profiles of the best technicians in your city, select the best profile and choose the time for repair as per your requirement. Since bro4u has only qualified and verified computer repair professionals in their list, they can resolve the problem within a short time.
You can also visit our website if you have doubts about how to recover data from hard disk and how to identify signs of motherboard failure.